top of page

Lynette - Travel Advisor

Top 30 Virgin Voyages Advisor | Royal Caribbean l Top 150 Carnival Cruise Advisor


Smooth Sailing: Must-Have Documents for First-Time Carnival Cruisers!

Embarking on your first Carnival Cruise is an exciting adventure that promises fun, relaxation, and the opportunity to make unforgettable memories. However, before you can dive into the endless ocean horizon or explore exotic destinations, there's one crucial step you must not overlook: packing the right documents. Ensuring you have all the necessary paperwork is the key to a smooth sailing experience. Here's a comprehensive checklist for first-time Carnival Cruisers to guarantee you're perfectly prepared for your journey.

1. Passport or Birth Certificate

For international voyages originating outside the United States, a valid passport is required. Make sure it's valid for at least six months beyond your cruise end date. If your cruise is a "closed-loop" one, starting and ending at the same US port, adults and children can sometimes use a state-issued birth certificate (original or copy) along with a government-issued photo ID. Cruises Sailing from One U.S Port to a Different U.S Port: Guests are required to carry a Passport valid for at least six months beyond the completion of travel, from their country of citizenship AND a valid Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), that includes a photo I.D. However, a passport is still highly recommended for all sailings due to its flexibility and in case of unexpected international stops or emergencies.

Traveling with Children on Carnival Cruises

When cruising with Carnival, special considerations are made for passengers traveling with children, especially when those children are not their own. It's crucial to be aware of "The Minor Policy" to ensure a smooth and trouble-free boarding process.

  • Documentation for Minors: All minors must have proper documentation, such as a passport or birth certificate, similar to adult travelers. Depending on your itinerary.

  • Traveling with Children Not Your Own: If you're traveling with children who are not your own, you must have a notarized letter from the child's parent or legal guardian authorizing the trip. This letter should grant permission for the child to travel with you and should include authorization to make medical decisions for the child, if necessary.

  • Carnival's Minor Policy: For detailed information on traveling with minors, including specifics about documentation and authorization letters, please visit the Carnival website. Link to Carnival's Policy

Required ID for Guests Aged 16 and Older

All guests 16 years and older must present a valid, unexpired government-issued photo ID. Mobile or digital ID versions are not accepted. Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • Driver's License (temporary ones with a photo are fine)

  • Driver's Permit

  • School/Student ID (for guests aged 16 to 18)

  • Any government-issued ID card with a photo, including U.S. Military IDs (from city, state, or federal authorities)

  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (e.g., NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST) - only for photo identification purposes

2. Cruise Documents

This includes your boarding pass, printed luggage tags, and any booking confirmations for pre-purchased additions like specialty dining, in-cabin drinks and snacks, and shore excursions. We highly recommend using durable luggage tag holders for your printed tags, which can be found on Amazon, ensuring they remain secure and easily identifiable throughout your journey. Having hard copies of these documents can be a lifesaver in the event there is no record of your purchase

Names on Travel Documentation

Ensure the full name (first and last) on your cruise tickets matches the travel documentation you'll use for travel. If there's a discrepancy due to marriage, divorce, or a legal name change, bring original or clear copies of relevant documents (e.g., marriage certificate, court document) to embarkation. Lack of this documentation may lead to denied boarding.

3. Travel Insurance Documents

While not mandatory, travel insurance is a wise investment for any cruise. It can cover everything from trip cancellations to medical emergencies abroad. If you have purchased a policy independent from Carnival, please bring a copy of your policy documentation

4. Visa Paperwork (If Applicable)

Some destinations may require a visa for entry, even as part of a cruise. Check the visa requirements based on your nationality and the countries you'll be visiting well in advance of your departure date.

5. Emergency Contacts and Medical Information

Carry a list of emergency contacts, including family members and your primary care physician. If you have specific medical needs or allergies, carrying a medical information card can be crucial in an emergency.

933 views4 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Apr 03

This is so detailed and so helpful Nette. Thank you for taking the time to put this information together. I truly appreciate it.

Replying to

Hey Fam! you are so welcome!


Apr 01

Thank you for the recommendations and appointments.

Replying to

Your welcome

bottom of page